I just had the most amazing Halloween party! I dressed up like a crazy woman (that wouldn’t require much of an outfit, you might say). True, but this was even crazier than normal. I’m not quite sure what I was (inspired by a masquerade), but it was something scary.I invited my freshmen class from this campus. They loved the outfit. When I answered the door they gasped and laughed and clasped their hearts, then watched with anticipation for the next group to knock at the door. The best was when I answered the door and one girl actually screamed! Definitely worth it. They probably would have thought it was worth it just to come and see their crazy English teacher looking like a madwoman (I don’t think they’ll ever look at me the same in class…), but I wanted them to be able to dress up in some way too. I had supplies for them to make their own masks, which they all dove into with enthusiasm, laughing at each other and taking pictures. Many of the students wear glasses, so they were trying to figure out how to put their glasses on over the masks, which looked pretty hilarious.
I had a lot of candy (China candy – not my favorite, but the students devoured it) and cookies and apple and orange Tang. After the students had eaten and made their masks and I explained about the history of Halloween and how it is celebrated in America (starring pictures of Allison as Little Bo Peep and Molly as Fiona), we had a mummifying contest.

I bought a big package of TP and gave several rolls to each group. Each group chose a member to mummify and then tried to cover them as quickly and effectively as possible. Then I made them get together for a picture, which required some hopping (if their legs were bandaged) or being led (if their face was swathed) across the room.
The other teachers were having Halloween parties too. The whole building was bursting with laughter and screaming and squealing. I think the students had a good time. All the students had to get a picture with me on their camera phones. I’m never going to live this down.
Then I got Matt to come across the hall and take a group picture. When he came in, all the girls squealed because they hadn’t yet seen a foreign guy. I explained that he had a wife, and then he took our picture. When the students piled out, my floor was covered with TP, candy wrappers, spilled drinks, and scraps of paper. Definitely the scene of a good time.

No comments:
Post a Comment