Friday, September 02, 2005

My First Bicycle


You may not realize it, but today is a monumental day. Today, I bought a bike. Not only is it my first China bike, it is my first ever bike. You can ask my family about my deprived, bike-less childhood, but today let’s not dwell on the past.* After some shopping around and comparison, I finally settled on a standard, medium quality bike. In case you missed these in the picture, let me point out a few important features.
1. It’s purple.
2. It has a big basket on the front.
3. It has a little bell on the handlebar.
It also has an attached bike-lock, but Christina said it’s probably not nice enough for someone to bother stealing. I will hope that is the case. Now I will be able to venture out and explore the town. Unfortunately thus far my sense of direction has been consistently wrong, so I am a little bit worried about getting hopelessly lost. Riding a bicycle is so exciting, though, especially when crossing intersections. This is almost as fun as having a car, and there is no gas expenditure. Anyway, I’m glad you can share in my joy over this.

*As a disclaimer on behalf of my family, I must say that I did use my sisters’ hand-me-down bikes and that I never really cared enough about it to ask for one of my own. Still, you can understand why this is a special moment for me {sniff}.

No comments: