Monday, September 19, 2005

The Day After Festival

Today in class the students seemed to be feeling the affects of yesterday's celebrations. Some were quite hungover, others just looked dazed and tired. And then of course there were the mysteriously absent ones. When I came into my second class, two guys were dead asleep. When I was calling roll several of the guys behind them tried to unsucessfully to shake them awake. I didn't want to cause a scene so I just left them alone for the first hour. At break I was finally able to summon them from their unconsciousness and tell them they could either participate in class or go back to their rooms and sleep, but sleeping in class was useless. After that they were able to rouse themselves enough to at least go through the motions.

I had fun in class today, though! The students were practicing giving advice so I had them pretend they were on a TV show. I always think things are more fun when dramatized, and they all started laughing when I used my water bottle as a microphone - and made them pretend it was one too. I think most of them enjoyed being involved and getting the chance to "perform."

After class one of my students invited me to have lunch with her. So I went with her over to her aunt's house (she lives in town). It was really fun to be in a Chinese home and to get to hang out with my student and her family. They were very welcoming and fun, and the aunt made the most amazing pork-chop sort of things I've ever had. They wouldn't let me leave before they gave me - ah yes - more moon cakes. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate moon cake prizes into my lesson tomorrow...

No comments: