Monday, August 04, 2008

All Eyes on the Olympics

ZG Briefs sends out free weekly updates on China news, and they will be sending out two special Olympic news editions which I think will be quite interesting. I would encourage you to check it out. You can sign up by going to www.zgbriefs.com.

On August 8, 2008, at 8pm, the world's attention will be focused on Beijing, as the 2008 Olympics Opening Ceremonies begin. Perhaps more than previous Olympics, China has closely linked it's self-image and perceived standing in the world to these Games. Beyond the sport, there will be many interesting stories being played out: the environment, the security, the reaction and effect of the Games on the lives of ordinary Beijingers. The ZGBriefs team will be producing two special editions for the Olympics, on August 14 and 21, with article summaries and links to articles and blogs that will help you understand the larger context of the Games.

I would also recommend that you keep an eye on the blog of a friend living in Beijing. She has lived in China for many years, so she always has lots of interesting (and funny) insights. Recently, many of these insights have been Olympic related, and I think you would enjoy them.

No comments: