The heat has begun to define our lives. The past few days have been averaging 105 degrees and our air conditioning conveniently chose this time to start dying. While the little AC unit had never been strong (it cools the one area directly in front of it), it now doesn't work at least half of the time. Occasionally, it will send out merciful bursts of cool air before returning to oven temperatures. If it is turned up above the lowest speed, the fan starts clanking and banging like it's going to fall out of the wall.
The mornings have been okay, when the heat of the day hasn't yet peaked, but from about 1pm to midnight, the apartment becomes increasingly more unbearable, even with our three fans. We went to two movies in the past two days (even hung out at the mall) primarily for the benefit of air conditioning. The repair man is supposed to come on Monday afternoon. Until then, we are thinking up new ways to avoid our apartment as much as possible.
Unfortunately, the packing and cleaning that needs to be done can only take place at our apartment. I try to pack for a little bit and then give up. It's too hot to do things like that. Especially since packing takes me out of the tiny path of sometimes-cool air. Actually, it's too hot to even think or function at a normal level. I don't even like to shower, because the cold water is hot and I'm sweaty again as soon as I get out.
On Monday, the temperature is supposed to get down to 90 degrees. We are super excited!
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Eh. I haven't had air conditioning either, but it's usually not about 90 inside (the other night Jana and I couldn't sleep 'cause it was so hot...) Bleh. I hope it gets fixed soon!
Post a Comment