Saturday, August 06, 2005

Communication (or lack thereof)

I am finding out a lot a lot about the value of non-verbal communication. Generally, anything that is absolutely essential to communicate can be figured out without words. Generally. You point to pictures on a menu or to places on a map or count on your fingers and end up with approximately what you wanted. I try to use my four Chinese words whenever possible so I don’t feel like a mute.
Yesterday I had a satisfying experience. When I was walking down the street, an Asian lady asked me (in English), “Where is big supermarket?” And I gave her directions to the Wu Mart. First, I was excited because I must not have looked quite as lost and confused as I felt. Second, I knew something that someone else didn’t! I wasn’t the most clueless person around. I could actually give her information. It was quite thrilling.
Later I went to the Hyper Market and the cashier wouldn’t let me buy bananas. I have absolutely no idea why. Apparently she was trying to tell me, but of course I had no clue what she was saying. So then I felt confused and clueless again. But hey, who needs bananas, right?

No comments: